When I started MSLD 500 I had a basic idea of what to expect. I knew I would wrestle with
critical thinking and that intellectual perseverance would be necessary. Still,
I didn’t truly know what to expect because when I took this course in the past,
I withdrew around week 3 or 4, while it was still early in the term. Because I
had taken the class before I had basic ideas about course-expectations;
however, I didn’t know that I would be challenged in a way that caused me to
question my place in the Leadership program. My specific area of challenge was
research methodology; I felt like a total novice. I enjoy academia and the
process of learning, yet I was beginning to feel that it wasn’t for me. I knew
those thoughts weren’t true as I considered past positive experiences (including positive experiences in this
class); however, as the assignments became more difficult, self-doubt also
increased.
The first time(s) I
attempted this course, I wasn’t prepared. For example, I didn’t review the
assignments early in the week to mentally prepare and I worked on the
assignments later in the week when I should have started working on them
earlier. When I tried this course other
times, I thought it was going to be much like my first ERAU grad course, MGMT
535. MGMT 535 was challenging but not full-time intensity; in contrast, MSLD
500 is intense the entire time. When I
registered for the class this term, I did things very differently, I reached
out to my instructor before the term began and he offered his support and
guidance as he sensed my terror. Instead of reviewing assignments later in the
week, I reviewed them earlier to mentally prepare for the tasks ahead.
Admittedly, when I
started this course I was so focused on making it through successfully (success in my mind was an “A”) that I wasn’t taking
time to enjoy my progress. Midpoint of the term my instructor suggested that I take
a moment to reflect on my progress; I never thought about doing so until he reminded
me. I was so caught up in “success” that I wasn’t enjoying my own
accomplishments. I also must admit that when I started this class, assignments
were “a body of information” to me, information that I wanted to get through.
However, as I took time to enjoy the process, I began to practice critical thinking.
While assignments were still challenging, I began to enjoy them because I was
learning the how’s and why’s of the coursework. I became better
acquainted with task-expectation so that assignments weren’t as intimidating as
they had been. The self-doubt I started
with is no longer hanging over my head; I feel like I belong in this program; I
even feel equipped enough to help others who may be struggling.
As an adviser, I have
many conversations with students about graduate courses, not just from ERAU but
from other colleges. Some students from other schools talk about how easy the
grad courses are; I think there’s an expectation that grad school should come
with ease, after all, schools just want the money (popular myth and unfortunate
truth that many students believe). Nevertheless, MSLD 500 challenges that
thought as it is far from easy and is purposely
demanding as students are prepared for future MSLD courses. I can
personally say that I have learned concepts that will positively influence my
performance in future courses.
No comments:
Post a Comment