Sunday, April 24, 2016

A500.5.3.RB_SharpMelissa


As I think about my current state of critical thinking, it is hard for me to see my growth because I am not exactly sure how my growth is being measured. For example, as far as MSLD 500 is concerned, I feel like I am growing. When the course began, we had to provide our own definition of critical thinking while comparing our definition with other critical thinkers. We were also presented with concepts that were, in some ways, foreign to me. While I am an introspective person by nature, practicing unfamiliar critical thinking standards and elements and defining critical thinking was definitely new territory for me.  

As I work on my assignments (discussion boards, annotated bibliographies, reflection blogs), I am finding that I want to go deeper. It's easy to read questions and give basic, passable answers; however, I want more. Admittedly, I have the tendency to focus on task- completion and correctness than thoughtfully considering my responses; I catch myself doing this in school, work, and life. I notice that when my performance is being measured, I can be a little rigid because I just want to do things the right way...you know, follow the rules. However, critical thinking is a methodical process, not just a task-driven assignment. In critical thinking, there is room for error because we are thinking through our mistakes and learning better ways to research the answers we seek. 

While I sense that I still have a long way to go, I can see that I am taking my time to think through my assignments, work-tasks, and life responsibilities. I have to challenge myself to think about what I am thinking instead of focusing on doing the "right" thing and answering the "right" way. I am learning to explore the "why" in my reasoning.

Although I am able to articulate these things, applying these concepts is difficult at times. Therefore, the only way for me to consistently grow as a critical-thinker is to practice critical thinking, daily and continue towards my Leadership degree where I will experience more critical thinking experiments and growth. 



No comments:

Post a Comment